When attempting to restore data with Spanning Backup for Salesforce, if you receive an error that says "You're creating a duplicate record. We recommend using an existing record instead", you likely have a rule in place in your Salesforce organization that prevents duplicate records from being created. In a recent Salesforce update, a duplicate management system was put in place to help avoid duplicate records, and when this rule is enabled, you will receive this error when trying to initiate a restore.
To disable this feature in your Salesforce organization, follow these steps:
1. Log into your Salesforce account as the administrator
2. Go to Setup > Data.com Management > Duplicate Management > Matching Rules
3. Click on 'Deactivate' on the rule that needs to be disabled
4. Go to Setup > Data.com Management > Duplicate Management > Duplicate Rules
5. Click on 'Deactivate' on the rule that needs to be disabled
Salesforce will then send an email upon successful deactivation. Now, when you initiate a restore through Spanning, you will no longer receive this 'duplicate record' error message.
If you have any additional questions, please send an email to email@example.com.